Mastered by Prof. Keith Johnson!
Reference Recordings is proud to present these three works of Georges Bizet, beautifully performed by the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra, conducted by Martin West. The recording was made at Skywalker Sound in Marin County, California by Grammy-winning engineer Keith O. Johnson.
The "Symphony In C" is a delightful gem, composed in 1855. It was produced as a ballet choreographed by George Balanchine, and premiered at the San Francisco Ballet in 1961.
"Jeux d'Enfants" is filled with youthful wonder, and fanciful, charming, memorable tunes. We include Bizet's own orchestrations of five of the pieces. The remaining seven pieces' orchestrations are by Hershey Kay and Roy Douglas. This recording is the first to feature all 12 pieces, with the Kay and Douglas orchestrations.
"Variations chromatiques" is a dramatic work recorded only once before, by the Louisville Orchestra in 1973. This is the first modern recording and the first time this work is available on CD.
Founded in San Francisco in 1976, Reference Recordings believes that how a recording sounds is as important as the music itself. RR is thankful to everyone who was instrumental in bringing this outstanding album to life, especially "Prof." Keith O. Johnson (Grammy® award-winner, inventor and entertainment technologist).
• Mastered by Prof. Keith O. Johnson
Martin West, conductor
San Francisco Ballet Orchestra
Georges Bizet (1838 - 1875)
Symphony In C (1855)
1. Allegro vivo
3. Scherzo, Allegro vivace
4. Finale, Allegro vivace
Jeux d' Enfants, Opus 22 (1871)
(Orchestrations by Georges Bizet, Hershey Kay, and Roy Douglas)
5. L'Escarpolette (The Swing/Sea Saw)
6. Impromptu: La Toupie (The Top)
7. Berceuse: La Poupee (The Doll)
8. Les Chevaux de Bois (Hobby Horses)
9. Le Volant (The Shuttlecock / Badminton)
10. Marche: Trompette et Tambour (Trumpet and Drum)
11. Les Bulles de Savon (Soap Bubbles)
12. Les quatre Coins (Puss in the Corner)
13. Colin-Maillard (Blind Man's Buff)
14. Saute-Mouton (Leap-Frog)
15. Duo: Petit Mari, petite Femme (Little Husband, Little Wife)
16. Galop: Le Bal (The Ball)
17. Variations Chromatiques (1868)
(Orchestrated by Felix Weingartner)